I am constantly inundated with questions around how to start a transformation (regardless of how big or small).
One of my first responses is to not look at is as a transformation. The reason I say this is because if I had looked at my journey at the start, as a goal to lose 65kgs, I definitely wouldn’t be where I am today – so I thought I would share my 5 tips with you to kick start your own transformation.
- Start with a small achievable goal. Write it down and set a realistic time frame. You want to be able to achieve this goal to then set another goal. Don’t set the goal too large, otherwise you will likely fall short of where you want to be. It is better to set 3 small goals you achieve over 9 months than 1 big goal you achieve in 9 months (same, same, but different). Perhaps one of your first goals could be making a small change to your diet, or losing 5 kgs or being able to run 5km in a certain time.
- Plan, Plan, Plan. I’ll never forget the saying my dad taught me which was the 5 P’s Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance. If you plan your training and food for the week you don’t need to think about it, you don’t need to consider healthier options when your food is already made. It also frees up so much more time in your week to do things you enjoy. Plan your week & watch it change your life.
- Don’t be scared of Protein or Carbs. They are your friends and you need to learn and trial how your body responds to various levels in your diet. You cannot build muscle without protein & carbs.
- Remember a healthy and fit life, is for life. It doesn’t have an expiry date or a deadline, you are going to be doing this until your last day on this earth so ensure it’s something you can maintain & something that you can remain consistent with.
- Don’t fall off the wagon just because you have a bad day/week. Admit you have had a bad meal or day & get back on track ASAP. I always use the analogy that if you have one popped tyre on your car, do you then slash the other 3 because one doesn’t work? No, you fix the one to ensure you have 4 functioning tyres again!